Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) are caused by bacteria (usually E. coli) in the urinary tract or bladder. These infections can be painful and cause symptoms like burning while urinating, urgency and increased frequency urinating, low-grade fever, and even low back pain. Treating UTIs with Chinese Medicine can be safe and effective!
Usually UTIs are treated with a course of antibiotics. If someone suffers from recurring UTIs, the frequent use to antibiotics can cause an imbalance in intestinal gut flora and issues with digestion.
Most of the time antibiotics can be avoided by using natural methods to treat UTIs If symptoms get worse then a course of antibiotics may be necessary. Please work with a physician or licensed herbalist when trying alternative treatment methods!
In Chinese Medicine most UTIs are considered to be damp-heat in the lower jiao (bladder). To treat damp-heat in the lower jiao we choose food, acupuncture points, and herbs that clear heat, dispel dampness, and promote urination. Continue reading to find out more!
Nutrition is the most important aspect of health and healing and also the most over looked. Proper nutrition can prevent UTIs by boosting the bodies immune system and using certain foods to help clear heat and dampness.
- Hydrate! Staying hydrated flushes water through the kidneys and bladder making it more difficult for bacteria to grow and reproduce.
- Avoid foods that irritate the lining of the bladder such as alcohol, greasy and spicy foods.
- Eat & prepare diuretic and heat clearing foods such as asparagus, cranberry, watermelon, and corn silk. Diuretic foods will also help to flush the kidneys and bladder and clear heat which can ease symptoms associated with having a UTI.
- Consume probiotic foods such as kombucha, yogurt, kefir water, kimchi, and sauerkraut. Probiotic rich foods can help boost the immune system to act a preventative against UTI’s. Eating fermented foods during an active infection can aid the body in fighting the infection.
Certain acupuncture points can have a pretty immediate effect to relieve symptoms of a UTI. Here is a list of common acupuncture points chosen:
- SP-9 – Drains dampness by promoting urination
- KD-10 – Clears damp-heat in the lower jiao for difficult & painful urination
- KD-7 – Regulates water passages for urinary issues
- Ren-3 – Treats urinary disorders caused by excess heat and dampness
Chinese Herbal Medicine
Herbal formulas are essential for the natural treatment of UTIs. While there are many variations of herbal formulas we will focus on the most common one, Ba Zheng San!
Ba Zheng San drains heat & fire, promotes urination, and treats painful urinary disorder (UTI). It can be taken as a preventative (before sexual activity or drinking alcohol) or it can be used during a UTI. To learn more about Ba Zheng San, please visit American Dragon for more information!
If you are interested in scheduling an appointment, consultation, or learning more about treating UTIs with Chinese Medicine contact us today!